Look Around.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 02

Day 02- Something you love about yourself.




I’m a good mom. No, scratch that. I’m a GREAT mom. This is the only good thing I can say about myself and honestly believe it.


 My son comes first over everything else in the world, and he always will. I do everything in my power to see that he’s the healthiest, happiest, most successful little person that he has the ability to be.



I’m patient with him. I am happy for him and about him. I am constantly and endlessly proud and pleased by him. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t hear myself say out loud to his dad, “We have the best baby in the world. We’re so lucky.” I hear a note of awe in my own voice, and recognize the validity of it. It's true: He is the best. And we ARE so lucky. Awe is appropriate.



Y'all, I know it's some kind of second degree vanity, but I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that my son is THE VERY BEST BABY in the WHOLE WORLD, and I would give anything in my power to be able to spend every single moment of every day with him. He’s smart and funny and sweet. He’s incredible. He’s a great baby, and he makes me a great mom.



I find myself alternately able to watch him crawl up the stairs with immense pride and little fear of injury, and incredibly protective over him when it comes to people that would hurt him. I will never let anyone hurt him, and if someone ever tried… I can’t even imagine what I would do. I suppose I would hurt them until there was no more pain in the world left to feel. I’m not sure I would be able to stop myself. This isn’t only because he’s mine and I love him and have an instinct to protect him, but also because he is so sweet and happy, and has never known intentional, cruel pain. He is so confident right now in the goodness of the people around him and if someone took that security away from him, I would pull the fury of Hell down on their head.



He gives me the strength to stand up for him. He makes me brave in the face of authority and adversity. Where I cannot always find my voice to help myself, I can easily scream in automatic, instant, fearless defense of him.



He makes me a good mom. I love that I'm a good mom, and that I trust my instincts with him. I love him, and by extention I love myself a little, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment